Deciding to join the military is a big decision on its own, but it isn’t where the decisions end. There are six branches of the military that you can serve in – Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Navy, Marine Corps, and Space Force. Each branch has its own culture and mission and making sure to pick the one that fits you best is an important step when joining the military. You also need to consider if you would like to serve on active duty, in the National Guard or Reserves.
There is no one right answer.
The best branch for you needs to meet your goals and aspirations and not just be focused on the “perks” of one branch over another. Depending on why you are joining and what you are looking for will help you determine what branch and way you should serve in the military. This chapter covers the culture and mission of each branch of the military and the primary differences between serving on active duty, in the National Guard, or Reserves
“To me, it comes down to culture. When you find your fit, you feel it in your bones. In your soul. You feel it in your bones. In your soul. You feel energized by it in a way that is hard to describe – and in a way that the other simply doesn’t. Nothing wrong with the others of course – but you know when it’s right.” – Heather Price
In this weeks interview we covered these topics:
Think about your future
Find a mentor
Do Your Research
- Check out 7 Things to Know Before You Join the Military
- Grab my free guide:
Know Your Why You Want to Join
- Read my why here.
- Know what you want to do
- Know what you want to do after you leave the military behind
Resources provided by veterans (contains affiliate links)
- Read The Mask of War by Carl Builder
- Learn about Michigan State University Combat Veteran Program
- Read Women of the Miltary to hear more stories of military women
- Listen to Women Veteran Podcast
Answer these questions
- What is your objective of service?
- Are there location / geographic considerations?
- Service, tradition, adventure, training, college assistance, etc?
- What are you interested in and capable (qualified) of doing?
- Does the service offer the career choice you want to do?
- Are you looking at a career in the military or a shorter option?
- Are you looking to enlist or take a path to be an officer?
Would you like to be a guest or know someone who might want to share their story for the Women of the Military Podcast? You can sign up here and I will be in touch with you shortly.
Do you want to support Women of the Military?? Check out my new Patreon site and become a monthly supporter!!!