This bread is so easy and tastes so good. No worrying about rising or bread pans, just mix, let rest and bake.
- ½ cup luke warm water
- ¼ oz dry active yeast packet or 1 Tbsp of dry active yeast jar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup plain yogurt or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups + 1-2 cups all purpose flour (or unbleached flour)
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- palm full of corn flour or corn meal
- Mix luke warm water and yeast, set aside for 5 min
- Meanwhile warm milk, yogurt and honey to body temperature (do not boil)
- After 5 min, mix water mixture and milk mixture together. Then add 2 cups of wheat flour. Stir with a wooden spoon, cover and set aside in a draft free spot for 30-45 min. You should see small bubbles starting to form, don’t worry the bread won’t rise.
- In a separate bowl mix 2 cups of all purpose flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda (set aside)
- When the 30-45 min is up mix the all purpose flour mixture with the with the wheat flour mixture ½ a cup full at a time. Mix with a wooden spoon until mixing is no longer possible. Then use your hands and knead in flour mixture.
- You can either grab a cookie sheet or continue to use the same bowl adding flour until you can knead the dough without a lot of sticky spots. I normally add about a cup.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Depending on what you plan to use the bread for you can either make two small loaves or make one large loaves. I use the bread for sandwiches and it works best to keep it all as one loaf. Form into football shaped loaves.
- Grab a cookie sheet and sprinkle corn meal on the sheet and then add your dough ball(s). Let sit for 10-15 min. At the end of the 10-15 min my bread usually has spread so I push it back together to be taller.
- Put in oven for 30 min
- Take out of oven and place on cooling rack for 30 min to finish baking.
- Cut up and enjoy.
You can store it in the freezer after the bread has cooled completely. We eat it up so fast it never lasts very long.